Sunday, May 6, 2012

Review: Gundam "zippo"


The classic Zippo lighter has the distinction of being the only lighter to be engraved in the public's consciousness. If someone needs a light in a movie, there's a good chance that they'll be using a Zippo. No Vietnam movie would be complete without the obligatory cigarette (or joint) lighting scene with the signature chrome brushed Zippo. There's also the somewhat less obligatory village massacre scene with the Zippos being used to set huts on fire but massacres and Zippos don't exactly associate with each other that much. Thus, it's easy to see why Zippos are pretty much every smoker's dream: why bother lighting up with a shitty Cricket or Bic when you can light up in coolness with a Zippo?

This is not a review of an actual Zippo lighter. Hell no, I'm way too cheap to shell out P1200 (that's about $30 for you foreigners out there) for one. However, I do want a Zippo. It's just really fucking cool. That's why I jumped at the chance to buy this Zippo-style lighter for much, much less than an actual Zippo. “How much less?” I hear you think. Well, how about 99.475%? Seriously! This thing just costs P75 (just about $1.75)! [The other designs range from P100-P150 ($2.30-$3.5)] For such a low price, you might be expecting a shitty knock-off... well, read on...



Yes, it really does say “MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM” and it really has that Gundam face and silhouette on it. And I don't know about you guys, but that is just fucking awesome. More awesome than the classic chrome Zippo, I dare say. And it's much, much, much more awesome than the others with silhouettes of strippers on them that make you look like a poor person. I was going for the plain blue version of this, but I saw the Gundam one right next to it. “Holy shit, Gundams!” I thought. “With this, I'll be able to show everyone how much I like huge robots!” However, I think it just makes everyone think I'm an anime nerd. Which I am not, I assure you. Hentai, on the other hand...

Let's get this out of the way first: this is not a fake or counterfeit Zippo. It looks like one, it works like one, but it's not trying to pass off as one. It doesn't say Zippo anywhere on the lighter. Neither was the store trying to fool customers by saying it's a Zippo. Clearly stamped on the bottom is the word “STAR”. I assumed Star was a shady group of Chinese counterfeiters but a Google search showed that it's actually an American brand! Fuck. What I don't know if the lighter I have is a fake of a real Star lighter. With the Chinese having their hand in everything, you really can't tell...

The actual construction of the lighter is actually pretty good. It's all made out of metal, no plastic anywhere. Then again, who the hell would make a lighter of this kind with plastic? Especially since you need to close the top to stop the fire. The Chinese, that's who. Sorry. The metal feels sturdy enough to last. Of course, the all important “click-clack” sound of the hinge is there. Hell, that's why I love this lighter so much. It sounds cool. Plus, when you're bored, you can keep opening and closing the lighter for no real reason.

The thing operates like a real Zippo. There's a wick, flint, and it uses the same fluid. It's basically a mini alcohol lamp. The size of the flame is dependent on the amount of fluid left inside. Did you top the lighter off? If you did, you get a nice big flame that won't go out, even during windy days. However, as the lighter fluid is used up, the flame becomes smaller. Eventually, you need to keep striking the flint just to get a tiny flame that gets blown out even by the gentlest gust.

Like a real Zippo, you can refill it with lighter fluid. What I'm not sure are about are the flint and wick. I do have a feeling that they're replaceable with real Zippo flints and wicks, but I'm not sure. But who the fuck cares if the wick runs out or the flint stops working? Hell, just the wick of a real Zippo lighter is just about as expensive as one of these Star lighters. (The shop I bought this from gave me a free refill)

All in all, this is a pretty bitchin' piece of equipment. It looks and works like a real Zippo, at a tiny fraction of the price. With Crickets going for half the price of one of these (I'm talking about real Crickets, not the ones you get at your Sari-sari store with the shitty printing), why not go the extra half and try one of these? Just expect people to call you a poorfag for having a fake Zippo. “But it's not fake!”

Available at your local Lighters Galore stall.

No comments:

Post a Comment